Comedies Coming Soon to Netflix in 2022 and Beyond
Netflix has had notable hits and notable misses when it comes to comedy, especially when it comes to TV shows. Below, we’ll be looking at all of Netflix’s upcoming comedy series, whether they’re returning shows or new shows.
If you’ve missed any of our other genre previews lately, you can find them via our coming soon section. Last week we covered all the fantasy movies and shows coming to Netflix and the previous week we covered all the period drama movies on the way.
An important distinction to make right off the bat is that we’re only covering comedy series and shows here and not stand-up specials. We will also only cover comedy series in English.
Netflix Original Comedy Series Return to Netflix
First, let’s take a look at the Netflix Original comedy series set to return for new seasons.
- Big Mouth (Season 6) – The animated sitcom returns for even more adventures (alongside a spin-off series Human ressources).
- Chicago Party Aunt (Season 1 – Part 2) – Additional episodes of Chicago Part Aunt have been pre-ordered and have yet to air.
- Dead to Me (Season 3) – Final series of episodes that will conclude the story whose return is confirmed in 2022.
- Emily in Paris (Seasons 3 & 4) – Two additional seasons of the comedy-drama series Emily in Paris have been ordered.
- Family reunion (season 3) – Final season of the multi-camera sitcom starring Tia Mowry, Anthony Alabi, Talia Jackson and Isaiah Russell-Bailey.
- Inside Job (Season 1 – Part 2) – The remaining episodes of the first season of Shion Takeuchi’s animated sitcom are yet to air.
- Grace and Frankie (season 7) – Latest set of episodes of the Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin comedy making it the longest running show with the most episodes on Netflix. Arrival confirmed in 2022.
- Never have I ever (Season 3) – Mindy Kaling’s coming-of-age comedy-drama likely to be released in 2022.
- Russian Doll (Season 2) – Natasha Lyonne will return for a second season of this mind-blowing comedy series.
- The Upshaws (Season 2) – A second season of the multi-camera sitcom starring Wanda Sykes and Mike Epps was ordered shortly after its 2021 premiere.
The first comedies are coming soon to Netflix
In keeping with our other genre previews, we’ll pick our three most anticipated comedy series before diving into a longer list.
Produced by A24 for Netflix, this series comes from Sung-Jin Lee who is known for projects such as Tuca and Bertie and Silicon Valley.
Here’s what you can expect in terms of the story of the upcoming series:
“Two people who let a road rage incident burrow into their minds and slowly consume their every thought and action.”
We’ve got more on the upcoming comedy-drama in our full preview for Beef here.
Vanessa Ramos, best known for her work on Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Superstore, helms this new workplace comedy set in America’s newest Blockbuster Video store (yes, we understand the irony given the story of Netflix!).
Melissa Fumero and Randall Park are both confirmed to headline the cast so far.
That 90s show
Kurtwood Smith and Debra Jo Rupp reprise their roles as Red and Kitty Forman in this series following That 70s show.
Filming is underway on the series which is produced on the Carsey-Werner Company production following Leia Forman’s time at her grandparents during the summer of 1995.
List of other upcoming Netflix comedy shows
- Agent King – Animated comedy series about Elvis (yes, the singer) joining a secret government spy program.
- Astronaut chicks – Mara Brock Akil is behind this new comedy series about four black friends set in the near future.
- Bad Crimes – Lauren Lapkus and Nicole Byer will voice in this animated series the story of two FBI agents traveling across the country to solve crimes.
- Boo, bitch – Lauren Lungerich and Erin Ehrlich of On My Block produce this new comedy series directed by Lana Condor.
- Captain Fall – Netflix’s Norsemen creators are back with a new animated comedy series following a gullible ship’s captain.
- God’s Favorite Idiot – Ben Falcone and Melissa McCarthy produce this new comedy series that follows a tech support worker who becomes God’s unwitting messenger. Both McCarthy and Falcone will play.
- Farzar – A new series from the creators of Paradise PD set in a sci-fi fantasy world.
- Freeridge – A new series set in the On My Block universe with an all-new cast.
- Good time – Carl Jones (known for The Boondocks) is bringing its next animated project to Netflix in the form of the animated series.
- hard cell – British comedy series by Catherine Tate set in a prison.
- Kaos – An ambitious new comedy fantasy series written by Charlie Covell and directed by Georgi Banks-Davies which is a modern retelling of Greek mythology.
- The man against the bee – Rowan Atkinson (known for Mr. Bean) will return to Mr. Bean format in this new comedy series.
- Mindy Kaling Untitled Series Los Angeles Lakers – Mindy Kaling, Eliaine Ko and Jeanie Buss direct this new workplace comedy.
- Mulligan – Animated comedy by Tina Fey and Robert Carlock.
- beautiful jewish girls – Anni Weisband is behind this new comedy about four sisters struggling with the aftermath of a death in the family.
- The survival of the thickest – Michelle Buteau stars in this A24-produced series about a woman who unexpectedly finds herself having to rebuild her life after putting all her eggs in a man’s basket.
- The Green Beret’s Guide to Surviving the Apocalypse – Peter Berg and Matt Damon produce this six-part comedy series about a comic version of a man trying to survive various doomsday scenarios.
- The Pentaverate – Mike Meyers will reprise a role that sees him play multiple characters in this new series.
- The red zone – Six episodes of this new football comedy series produced by Sam Mendes are on the way from Netflix UK.
- Decoupled – Produced by Darren Star (creator of Emily in Paris), this new comedy tells the story of a man who finds his life turned upside down after his husband leaves him after 17 years together.
- Wednesday – Described as a comedy-horror, this series is set in the universe of The Addams Family following Young Wednesday.
- Wellmania – Australian comedy-drama directed by Celeste Barber and based on the novel by Brigid Delaney.
- XO, Kitty – A spin-off television series from the To All The Boys film franchise on Netflix that will follow Kitty played by Anna Cathcart on her own quest to find love.
Did we miss a big comedy series coming to Netflix soon? Let us know in the comments below.