5 Best Adventure Games of 2021
From Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy to Resident Evil Village, 2021 has seen the release of some amazing adventure games. They allow players to assume the role of the protagonist in an interactive story focused on exploration and/or puzzle solving. The genre’s focus on stories allows it to draw extensively from other narrative-based media, literature, and film.
2021 may not have seen as many blockbuster releases as previous years, but there were certainly quite a few strong titles dotted around. With that said, let’s discuss some of the best adventure game titles of 2021.
Best Adventure Games Released in 2021
Adventure games are among the most acclaimed titles across all genres. From platformers to shooters with RPG elements, adventure games take players on a journey. We take a look at some of the best such titles released this year.
The best adventure games of 2021
- Metroid Dread
- Resident Evil Village
- Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
- Psychonauts 2
- Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy
- Developer/Publisher: Mercury Steam, Nintendo
- Platform: Nintendo Switch
- Release date: October 8, 2021
In many ways, Metroid Dread follows the success of Metroid Samus Returns and builds on the series’ 2D side-scrolling legacy. Developed by Mercury Steam, the game introduces stealth elements, with Samus avoiding EMMI robots in certain areas by hiding, reducing her noise, and using the ghost cape.
Resident Evil Village
- Developer / Publisher: Capcom
- Platform: Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Google Stadia, Microsoft Windows
- Release date: May 1, 2021
Sequel to Resident Evil 7 Biohazard, Resident Evil Village continues the story of Ethan Winters. The title moves the series in a new direction that is sure to make fans nostalgic for past Resident Evil titles, especially Resident Evil 4. With both returning and new characters, this is a must-have title. .
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
- Developer/Publisher: Insomniac Games, Sony
- Platform: PlayStation 5
- Release date: June 11, 2021
Arguably the best PlayStation exclusive of the year, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart not only delivers incredible gameplay, but also showcases the next-gen capabilities of the PlayStation 5 console. From advanced ray-tracing effects to seamless transitions between worlds using its fast SSD, the game’s incredible visual style and smooth gameplay make it one of the best releases of the year.
- Developer/Publisher: Double Fine, Xbox
- Platform: PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, Microsoft Windows, macOS, Linux
- Release date: August 25, 2021
The sequel to 2005’s Psychonauts might have kept fans waiting for over 15 years, but the wait was certainly worth it. Developed by Tim Schafer and Double Fine Studios, Psychonauts 2 feels like a continuation of the mind-bending psychological platforming adventure that continues the story without skipping a beat.
Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy
- Developer/Publisher: Eidos Montreal, Square Enix
- Platform: PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X and Series S, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, Microsoft Windows
- Release date: October 26, 2021
Read alsoThe article continues below
Before its release, everyone was skeptical of Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy. Square Enix’s previous Marvel game, Marvel’s Avengers (2020), was anything but what fans wanted. Despite having one of the biggest IPs in entertainment history, the game has been criticized for its heavy use of microtransactions and grind-based gameplay. Thankfully, Marvel’s Guardian’s of the Galaxy takes a different route than its predecessor and delivers a memorable story-driven action-adventure experience.